Saturday, April 3, 2010

Switzerland


Today was our first day in Switzerland and it was staggeringly beautiful. But first, I want to write about a reflection I shared with Michael. I’ve been trying to find a way to describe how I’m feeling at the beginning of this year long journey. It’s been a struggle. All I’ve been able to place is that it still feels like a vacation. It final came to me that the “vacation” feeling is from the constant travel from one place to the next – sight seeing. That’s something that I enjoy – the adventure of it – but it’s very different from living someplace. It makes me feel vaguely undone and out of sorts. The part I’m missing is having roots, a homestead, and, mostly, a routine. I think it’s the routine of having a “normal” day that sets apart living from visiting. And I’m craving the routine. It’s a gift to see the things we’ve already seen and experience this part of the world, but I look forward to our temporary home, and the calm reassurance that having a routine it provides. So that’s it….I love what we’re doing but it’s temporary and transient until we “arrive” and get all these blasted bags out of the car – period!


With that thought out of the way – on to Switzerland. Our first stop was at Konstanz on Lake Constance. It’s technically in Germany but situated on the border with Switzerland. Lake Constance goes by several names – Bodensee and Swabian Sea. Whatever it’s called, it’s beautiful and, on the Saturday before Easter, it’s packed with people. We took a bus to Mainau Islen which is a small island in the lake that is entirely landscaped. We were very early in the season and it was still beautiful. The grounds were already blooming with pansies, daffodils and early tulips. There was also a special display of orchids that was stunning. Mike and I have orchid pictures running out our ears! We’ll spare you! The backdrop of Lake Constance provided our first glimpse of the Alps with the mountaintops covered with snow. We left Lake Constance on our way to Zurich and had to chuckle as we pulled out of the parking garage – “gute fahrt!”

We dropped into Zurich for a very brief visit. We wanted to see the Marc Chagall stained glass windows at a church in downtown. We did a short walk around the water front which did not give us a proper feel for the city. We came away from the experience feeling overwhelmed by the pace and traffic. There were cars, buses, trolleys, people on bikes, skate boards and walking – sometimes in the same space. It was crowded and hectic. I wasn’t sad to leave and move on to Lucerne.

The trip to Lucerne was marked by stunning views of the mountains. The city of Lucerne is also on a river and lake similar to Zurich but it feels like a more manageable size – at least for me. The buildings along the water front are charming and the walkways were less hectic. We found a church with an Easter service for tomorrow. Tonight is for relaxing and writing as we look forward to our Easter in Switzerland. And – the chocolate Easter egg was opened!

2 comments:

  1. Well my thought is that you told everyone,including your selves, that you were going to France for 10 months. And now you are on vacation,yes with a lot of luggage,and not in France.So vacate and enjoy the moment. April 9 will come before you know it.
    Cheers, keep those great pictures coming. We all are enjoying the moment with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mike & Shelley,
    I'm catching up on your adventures and enjoying every word! Thanks for posting and the pictures are great. Hope you had a great Easter - I'm recovering from a weekend of Eshlemans!
    Love,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete